Free School Meal Eligibility
Free school meals are available to all children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2. They are also available to some older children according to family income. It’s important to register for entitlement to free school meals, even if your child has a packed lunch or is in a younger class – this is so we can receive additional funding (called the pupil premium) which we can use to help your child.
Children are entitled to Free School Meals if their parents, carers or guardians receive any of the following:
- Income support
- Income-Based Job Seeker’s Allowance
- Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance
- The Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit)
- Support under part V1 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit, if you have an annual taxable income (as assessed by H M Revenue and Customs) which does not exceed £16,190
To find out if your child qualifies for free school meals, and for any help or advice, you could:
- Contact Staffordshire County Council on 01785 854990
- Visit your local housing office
- Email email@example.com
- Call HMRC Tax Credit helpline (0845 300 3900) or visit their website
The Staffordshire County Council website has more information about free school meals. If you’ve any general questions about free school meals, please ask us at the Office.
Please note you should only complete an application if you wish to apply for free school meals because you meet the low income criteria. If you simply wish to obtain free school meals from September 2014 under the new universal infant free school meals criteria which provides free meals to all reception, year 1 and 2 children, do not complete this form but contact Bridgtown Primary directly.
Before you apply please check that you meet the entitlement criteria. The quickest and easiest way to claim is Applying online. It takes just a few minutes, you will get an instant yes or no answer and if you are entitled you can print the confirmation to give to your school to start the free meals immediately.
If for any reason you cannot complete the online application please contact Staffordshire Council to request a paper application form.